Philosophy and Mission
- To nurture the artistic spirit in each person and a lifelong love of music and learning.
- To help each student achieve their highest musical potential.
- To find joy and fun while learning!
Location and Parking
The studio is located at 8736 E San Victor Dr, Scottsdale, AZ 85258 (87th St and Mountain View).
Please park in the driveway behind the middle or far left garage, never in front of the house or the cul de sac.
- Provide a positive and enthusiastic atmosphere for learning and encourage a feeling of success at each student’s individual rate of learning.
- Offer multiple performance and enriching activities with a balanced program of theory, technic, ear-training, sight-reading and performance opportunities.
- Continue to further her skills and music knowledge by belonging to professional organizations, attending workshops, reading professional publications, and engaging in other activities leading to professional growth.
- Provide a piano in the best possible condition (most keyboards and organs are not appropriate).
- Set aside a regular time for practice each day to develop self-discipline and good practice habits (this can be done all at once or divided into two or more daily practice sessions). Younger children will need help from parents with their practicing.
- Encourage progress! Many small steps throughout the year yield great results! Parents are welcome and encouraged to attend lessons at any time.
- Provide a practice environment that is free from interruptions (family, friends, TV, computer or phone).
- Be financially responsible. Pay tuition on time. For account questions, email email@example.com .
- Check your child's notebook, studio website (www.clubpiano.com) or Facebook page weekly for pertinent information.
- Provide a metronome, 3 ring binder and repertoire/method books. Photo-copied materials are illegal and are not permitted unless the original music is no longer in print and we have permission from the copyright owner. Music that has been acquired via online payment or is under studio licensing is permissible.
- Communicate any questions or concerns you may have about your child’s progress.
- Be helpful, interested and supportive!
- Arrive at each lesson punctually, well-prepared, and with all necessary materials. If you arrive five minutes late, your lesson is five minutes shorter. You reserve the time slot, not the number of minutes.
- Practice - In order to progress satisfactorily,daily quality practice is necessary and required. Students with three consecutive weeks of incomplete practice will be on notice and may be replaced.
- Participate in Studio activities. Youth students will participate in a minimum of two performances and fourKeyboard Gymnastics Events per year. Students will also have the option of performance opportunities offered through the Phoenix Music Teachers Association (PMTA) if desired.
Adult students may register for lessons by the term and can re-evaluate enrollment at the beginning of each term. Adult students will receive 33 private lessons per year and may choose to participate in any of the activities the youth students are offered if desired. These are not required.
When students enroll, they are reserving their placement in the studio for the entire year. All students are expected to register for summer lessons if offered. The enrollment agreement is a firm commitment and guarantees your place in the studio. Tuition is charged by the term and is payment for the student’s whole course of music study, payable in advance by term or in monthly installments from August through July.
Each youth student will be charged a yearly registration fee of $120 in July, which includes:
- Practice Rebates (possible value $120)
- Lending Library fee (minimum value $20)
- TCW Theory book (value $20)
- Keyboard Gymnastics Registration fees (value $50)
- Ensemble Registration fees (value $20)
- Composition Books (Halloween) (value $6)
- Piano Maestro account (value $20)
- Full Practice Pizza Party for qualifying students (value $15)
- Incentives/Prizes (value $40)
- Recitals (value $40)
If students participate fully in Club Piano they could receive up to $351 worth of services for the $120 fee.
Adult students will be charged a registration fee of $60 in July.
The year is divided into three terms, Fall: August — December, Spring: January — May and Summer: June — August. Tuition is $850 per term per student for Fall and Spring terms. Summer term tuition and lessons are to be determined.
Tuition will include thirty three lessons total for the school year, twenty seven 45 minute private lessons for early morning students or 40 minute private lessons for afternoon students, and six one hour group lessons per year. Summer term, if in session, will only consist of private lessons. Tuition may be paid in a lump sum of $850 per student (preferred), at the beginning of each term (Paypal, Venmo, Check, Cash), or may be divided into five equal payments of $170.00 per student due on or before the first lesson of each month starting in August. Families opting to pay monthly must pay using automatic bill pay from their banking institution or must provide the entire terms monthly payments in post-dated checks. Tuition is non-refundable. As with University tuition, piano lesson tuition is payable whether the student attends or not.
Group lessons enhance the private lesson and are held in lieu of the private lesson on group weeks. In group lessons, we discuss composition techniques, study composers/music history, perform, practice ear training skills and play music games that reinforce music theory concepts. Group lessons are one of the highlights of the studio experience...we have such fun and learn in ways that are impossible one on one. See calendar for dates at www.clubpiano.com
Students who complete Full Practice the previous month will earn a practice rebate of $10.00 given to the student in cold hard cash at the first lesson of the next month. This is a rebate TO THE STUDENT, not the parent. To receive the rebate monies, the parent must verify that the student has completed an honest week's practice by signing their notebook and practice chart. Students must have ALL assignments current to qualify; this includes all Piano Maestro, theory and listening assignments completed.
What Tuition Covers
Tuition covers not only the actual time spent with the student, but also the hours spent in preparation for the student:
- An individualized plan for the student’s course of study
- Selection of repertoire, specific for each student
- Development of teaching materials
- Tuning and repairs of piano
- Teacher's training and experience
- Professional organization dues which provide students with opportunities for competitions, exams, and festivals
- Studio expenses
- Office hours
- Continuing education
Awards and Incentive Programs
All students have a place to record weekly practice in their piano notebook and may earn music money for each week of practice, which can be spent on prizes or cash available at every lesson. Students must spend all their music $ by the end of the year. Students that get full practice for the school year are invited to attend the FULL PRACTICE PIZZA PARTY! All students are expected to participate in a minimum of 4 of 7 events in the Keyboard Gymnastics Program, which rewards students that excel in the following areas: theory, ear-training, sight-reading, technic, performance, ensemble and creative project. To learn more about Keyboard Gymnastics of Phoenix, visit the website at www.clubpiano.com
Cancelled Lessons and Makeup Lessons
Please understand that the tuition you pay reserves an exclusive weekly time in the schedule for your child, similar to purchasing a ticket to a concert. Once the time is past, it is not available again. I cannot re-sell that time nor will I create extra teaching time in which to give lessons due to the teacher’s limited availability.
- No payment credit will be provided for missed lessons.
- No make up lessons will be offered for any reason. Be sure to choose a lesson time that is one in which you feel confident that you will have no other conflicts. In the unusual event of Ms. Charlene canceling a lesson, she will gladly reschedule at the earliest possible time.
- FaceTime lessons or swapping with another family are great solutions for not missing lessons, or creating videos of prepared material for Ms. Charlene to evaluate and respond during your lesson time.
- Those students requesting Monday lesson times, please note that there will be lessons scheduled on some minor holidays (Labor Day, MLK Day and Presidents Day).
Unavoidable Conflicts and Swap List
Please use the Swap LIst (found in the front of each student’s piano notebook) for any unavoidable conflict; i.e. your student has a sporting event, doctor's appointment, birthday party; use the Swap List if you don't want to miss that lesson. The family that is exchanging the lesson needs to let Ms. Charlene know the exchange information. If you do not want your phone number released on the swap list, please notify me. No credits are given for lessons the student chooses to miss.
- The student exchange roster is given only to those families who have opted in.
- All exchanges must be done PARENT TO PARENT. The teacher will not arrange changes for any student and students are NEVER to arrange them for themselves.
- The parent who requested the exchange is responsible to text Charlene within 24 hours.
- If two families show up for the same lesson time because the exchange was not confirmed properly, priority will go to the normally scheduled student(s) with no refund or rescheduling for the other student(s).
- Exchanges are not obligatory; they are reciprocal. If someone says NO to an exchange request, please respect that. If someone exchanges with you however, be kind and return the favor when possible.
- The exchanges list is NEVER to be used to solicit funds for schools or any other organization for any purpose including any kind of SPAM. Those who do so will be removed from the exchange list privilege. Please respect other's privacy.
- Please limit exchanges to no more than twice per semester.
Music Lending Library
The lending library adds variety to student repertoire. The music available will be supplementary only. All students will still be required to provide their own method books. This library will give students access to a wide selection of pieces without the added expense of acquiring music for a one- time event. The library fee is included in the Registration Fee. Students may check the music out as often as necessary, but must agree not to photocopy copyrighted material. Music must be returned in good condition. Damaged music will be replaced by the student.
There are several opportunities for performance during the year. All youth students are expected to perform on at least two of these dates. Out of courtesy to all performers, plan to stay for the entire recital. It teaches respect toward the efforts of all performers to listen to the achievements of others and to expand and broaden their knowledge of repertoire. Students/Families leaving early will not receive credit for having attended. Recitals will not exceed one hour in duration.
- Students are expected to get six days ofFULL practice each week. In the event of vacations, illness, etc., students can practice extra to make up for missed practice sessions. Please no more than one double session per week.
- Full Practice will be defined as completing each assignment perfectly a specified number of times each day. For example; practice the E scale five times perfectly each day, review measures 10-18 five times perfectly each day, etc. There will be specific directions outlined in each student’s notebook. This may mean your child's practice time may fluctuate depending on the length of time it takes to perfect certain passages.
- Every 30 minutes spent on music theory or Piano Maestro can count for one day of practice.
- Practice Free holidays include: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years, Independence Day, and their Birthday.
- Parents are encouraged to fill out practice charts and sign them so an accurate record can be applied to the practice rebate.
Ms. Charlene will reevaluate each student in May to determine if the student is still a good fit for Club Piano. Ms. Charlene may terminate lessons due to negative behavior, failure to practice, failure to attend committed events or failure to comply with studio etiquette. Terminating lessons before the end of the year (September through July) must be by mutual agreement between the teacher and parent. Any termination initiated by the parent or student requires one month WRITTEN and PAID TUITION notice.
During private/group lessons and performances; the teacher reserves the right to use video recording or take photographs of students for use in lesson demonstration, advertising materials, and studio owned websites. Photos taken by the teacher or that are shared with the teacher by other parents or students become the property of the studio and can be used at the discretion of the teacher in regards to the studio. The studio follows online safety rules in this matter.
Studio Facebook Page
The studio has a closed group on FaceBook to share video performances and activities. Please join to see what we’re doing! https://www.facebook.com/groups/434587376654683/#_=_
We have read and agree to adhere to these policies. We recognize that failing to follow these policies will limit our success and could end our association with the studio of Char’s Club Piano.
Student Signature____________________________________________________Date: _________________________
Student Signature___________________________________________________ Date: _________________________
Student Signature____________________________________________________Date: _________________________
Parent Signature ___________________________________________________Date: _________________________
Teacher Signature ___________________________________________________Date: _________________________
All contents © 2008-17 Char's Club Piano